This year Roald Dahl's big friendly giant celebrates his 30th birthday (doesn't he look old for his age?). Back in May, we launched a 30th anniversary edition with a stunning new cover by Quentin Blake, alongside a 'Win a Roald Dahl Dream Day' competition in Waterstones bookshops up and down the UK.
One hundred gloriumptious cardboard Dream Jars were featured in stores, inviting children to submit their 'funniest, silliest, craziest dreams' to the BFG, for the prize winner to:
– Step inside ROALD DAHL’S WRITING HUT at the Roald Dahl Museum & Story Centre!
– Watch FROBSCOTTLE being made by Bompas & Parr – and drink it yourself
– Work in the ARAMINTA FIZZACKERLY SWEET SHOP and be paid in sweets!
– Discover ROALD DAHL’S ARCHIVE and see the ORIGINAL manuscript of The BFG
– SLEEPOVER at The Nags Head hotel – as featured in the Fantastic Mr Fox film!
Over the last few weeks we received nearly 500 entries, some funny, some silly, some bizarre, some brilliant – all imaginative and a delight to read.
Yesterday was the day of judging, and although it was hard, we managed to narrow the shortlist down from twenty to six, and then after much deliberating, we chose our winner – drumroll please . . . congratulations to Matilda Smart, aged 9 and a half from Catford! Matilda, three friends and two adults will be our guests at the Roald Dahl Museum and Storytelling Centre in Great Missenden in September, and we hope they have a truly splendiferous time.